Friday, September 12, 2008

Herpetology...

is the study of Reptiles and Amphibians. Remember when I had that epiphany about volunteering until I could find a job? Well, I've completed my first week at Cabrillo National Monument, where I help capture, measure and record lizards and snakes found on the peninsula. All this info is entered into a computer so we can see trends in the population of herps in the preserve. Sadly most species on the Island seem to be leaving due to developement and loss of resources and habitat. I had a lot of fun and I actually felt useful. I'm very proud that I was able to ID each lizard correctly every time! (Finally school pays off) Here are some pictures of my adventures so far....I definitely plan on helping Tracey next month.


Lighthouse that I think is pretty and old (my two favorite things)



An example of an array. The reptiles run down the hill,
hit this fence and have to run along it until they fall into...
a pitfall trap (i.e. a bucket in the ground! GO SCIENCE!)

One of our captures. He's a juvenile Orange Throated Whiptail
( Cnemidophorus hyperythrus).
Tracey, our fearless leader, processing the specimen. He gets "tagged" (each toe is clipped corresponding to a number chart), measured, weighed, a tissue sample if he's big enough, then released.


No comments: